Liposuction can get rid of those stubborn fat deposits around the midsection or thighs, making it one of the most popular cosmetic procedures. Many people want to know what to expect after surgery. Will the results diminish over time? What happens if you surpass your post-liposuction weight?
Can Fat Return after Liposuction?
Good news! Liposuction removes fat cells. As long as you maintain your post-liposuction weight, the fat cells can’t return. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important for long-lasting results. Significant weight gain can reduce the effects of liposuction by producing new fat cells throughout the body, albeit with less fat accumulation in treated areas. Even with substantial weight gain, results are still favorable, as many people retain their overall post-liposuction shape and look better than they did before the procedure.
Optimize Your Results
For the best results, follow all guidelines set out by your cosmetic surgeon. Here are some additional tips to prevent the return of fat after liposuction:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. This is important for maintaining weight and overall health, especially post-surgery. Choose protein and vegetables over sugar and simple carbohydrates. Rather than skipping meals, try eating smaller amounts throughout the day.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water can boost your metabolism and suppress your appetite, making it easier to stick to your weight goals. For an easy way to cut out empty calories, swap soda or sugary drinks for water.
- Exercise regularly. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate, aerobic exercise per day to stay in shape. Hiking, biking, walking and swimming can all be great ways to get your heart pumping and your blood flowing! Over time, daily exercise will likely become easier and more enjoyable. In fact, those who have had liposuction tend to be more motivated to exercise and keep up a healthy lifestyle.
- Top 5 Most Popular Target Spots for Liposuction
- 4 Problem Areas You Didn’t Know You Could Lipo
- Could Liposuction Actually Improve Your Health?