Many women each year consider breast implant removal. The fact is that breast implants are not considered to be lifetime medical devices and they may need to be replaced over time or a woman may decide that she no longer wants a larger implant size.
The appearance of your breasts after breast implant removal will depend on several factors, including the size and type of implants you had, the condition of your breast tissue, the length of time the implants were in place, and whether any additional procedures were performed at the time of removal. Here are some possible outcomes you may experience:
- Natural Breast Tissue: After implant removal, your breast size and shape will depend on your natural tissue. If your breasts had sufficient tissue and elasticity before the augmentation, and you have chosen a skilled cosmetic surgeon, they may return to a similar appearance as before surgery.
- Skin Elasticity: The elasticity of your skin plays a significant role in how your breasts will look after implant removal. If your skin has retained good elasticity, it can contract and reshape to some extent after the removal of implants. However, if you experienced significant skin stretching due to the implants, you may have loose or sagging skin that needs surgical tailoring.
- Breast Ptosis (Sagging): If you had larger or heavier implants and/or if your breast tissue and skin have lost elasticity, you may experience some degree of breast sagging. The extent of sagging can vary from person to person, and may require a breast lift procedure to correct.
- Nipple and Areola Position: The position of your nipples and areolas may change after implant removal, especially if the implants caused your nipples to be displaced or stretched.
- Additional Procedures: Some women choose to have additional procedures at the time of implant removal to address changes in breast appearance. These procedures may include a breast lift, fat grafting, or breast implant replacement with smaller implants.
It’s important to have realistic expectations regarding the appearance of your breasts after implant removal. The outcome can vary considerably based on individual factors. Consulting with a board-certified cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Koehler who is experienced in breast implant removal is crucial. They can assess your specific situation, discuss your goals, and provide guidance on whether additional procedures are advisable to achieve your desired breast appearance. Additionally, they can help you understand the potential for scarring and any changes that may occur in the long term.
If you are thinking about making a change with your implants, we’d like to help. Call our Fairhope office at 251-929-7850 or contact us online to schedule your consultation and discuss your goals and pricing.