While some wrinkles are caused by muscle movement, others form due to a weakening in underlying supportive structure within the skin that leads to volume loss. Dermal fillers can improve the appearance of individual deep lines and wrinkles or add an all-over diffuse volume boost that refreshes your appearance, depending on the specific type of injectable fillers used.
Recognized as a skilled injector for dermal fillers and one of the top cosmetic surgeons in the Mobile-Pensacola metro area, Dr. James Koehler is a board certified cosmetic surgeon serving patients from Gulfport to Gulf Shores and beyond. Dr. Koehler offers a wide range of medical spa and plastic surgery procedures for both men and women, and is known for his caring commitment to a patient-first approach.
Are You a Candidate?
Dermal fillers can offer a wonderful solution if you’re troubled by deep lines running between the outer edge of the nostrils to the corners of your mouth (laugh lines) or vertical lines extending below the mouth (marionette lines), or if your face has started looking gaunt around the temples or under the cheekbones. Injectable fillers can also be used as lip injections to add fullness to thin lips, as a treatment to reduce the appearance of facial scars or indentations or even to help improve the contours of your nose as part of a rhinoplasty. Men and women considering dermal fillers should be in good physical and mental health, and have realistic expectations about their results.
Dynamic wrinkles, which are formed by muscle movement rather than volume loss, are better addressed with BOTOX® Cosmetic injections or DYSPORT rather than dermal fillers. Examples of dynamic wrinkles include crow’s feet around the eyes and frown lines between the brows. Dr. Koehler may recommend combining injectable fillers with BOTOX® or Dysport for even more impressive results.
About Dermal Fillers
Your skin’s appearance and texture change with age as the result of a natural decline in collagen production in combination with the effects of gravity. These two elements together can cause skin and tissue, especially over the cheeks, to soften and slowly migrate downward enough that wrinkles form.
Dermal fillers can be used in a few different ways to help combat this common evidence of aging. Some injectable fillers can be used through the mid-face to improve the definition of facial structure overall, while other can fill in deep lines and wrinkles directly. Concerns like too-thin lips, facial scars and indentations or temples that look hollow can also be improved with dermal fillers. Dr. Koehler will talk with you about all the possible benefits of injectable fillers during your consultation so you can learn more about how different dermal fillers work and which ones may be right for you.
What to Expect
During your consultation, Dr. Koehler will evaluate your facial structure and muscle movement in order to determine which approach will deliver the best results. Dr. Koehler will also explain what you can expect during your procedure and talk about the outcome you’re likely to see. There are a number of different options for dermal fillers from our practice:
- BELOTERO BALANCE® – This hyaluronic acid (HA) filler helps smooth away creases and fine lines for results that can last from 3 to 6 months.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC – Another hyaluronic acid-based filler, but with a unique formulation that includes a local anesthetic to help keep you comfortable during injection. Results can last up to a full year.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus XC – This formulation of JUVÉDERM® is thicker, which can be preferable for reshaping contours and creating more dramatic results.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC – The only FDA-approved solution to restore diffuse volume through the mid-face, recreate the appearance of high cheekbones and correct age-related volume loss. Results can last up to 2 years.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC – JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC is used primarily in the lip area, both to plump lips directly and smooth away surrounding vertical lines (smoker’s lines).
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ – JJUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ can be used for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Shown to last up to 18 months from the initial or touch-up injection in a majority of subjects, which is the longest-lasting result shown in a clinical study in the nasolabial folds.
- BELLAFILL® (semi-permanent filler): This FDA-approved filler is a good option for those that have tried fillers and have been pleased with them but are tired of doing repeated injections. This filler is showing promise in that it may show results for years after injection. It can’t be used in the lips but is very effective for treating nasolabial lines. Koehler generally recommends using this filler after you have already tried one of the shorter acting fillers to make sure you like how it looks. A skin test is required before doing BELLAFILL® to make sure you are not allergic to the collagen carrier.
- RADIESSE® – A volumizing filler that delivers immediate results by providing structural support for soft tissues while at the same time stimulating renewed collagen production for continued improvement. Over time, your natural collagen replaces the product as it’s gradually absorbed by the body for long-term results that can last over a year.
- RESTYLANE® – This HA filler is more cohesive than JUVÉDERM, allowing for the effective, localized volume correction of deep lines.
- RESTYLANE® Lyft – An HA filler with a larger particle size that’s ideal for improving the look of severe lines and deep wrinkles.
- RESTYLANE® Silk – Another formulation of RESTYLANE®, RESTYLANE® Silk is designed specifically for lip augmentation as well as smoothing out wrinkles around the lips.
- RESTYLANE® Refyne™ – This new filler uses a specially formulated hyaluronic acid that’s FDA-approved to treat moderate wrinkles and folds from the nose to the mouth.
- RESTYLANE® Defyne™ – Another hyaluronic acid filler, RESTYLANE® Defyne™ is designed to plump and fill deeper-set facial lines.
- SCULPTRA® Aesthetic – A type of filler known as a biostimulant that, when injected into deep tissue, stimulates collagen production over time. An average of three sessions is needed scheduled over a few months, and the results can last up to 2 years.
Although there is much debate over whether one type of dermal filler is inherently better than another, the truth is that the best results will always come from using the most appropriate injectable filler in the correct way.
Eastern Shore Cosmetic Surgery also supports the Brilliant Distinctions® program from the makers of JUVÉDERM®, which allows patients to collect reward points for med spa treatments that can be redeemed against future appointments. Dr. Koehler and his staff are happy to answer any questions you may have about cosmetic procedure pricing and help you fully understand the costs associated with dermal fillers.
Risks and Complications
Dermal fillers are considered low-risk treatments with only a slight chance of negative reaction or poor outcome, especially when injections are performed by a cosmetic surgeon with a great deal of technical expertise. It’s possible, although rare, for some patients to have an unanticipated response to injectable fillers such bruising, irregular contours or other negative reactions. Dr. Koehler will discuss all the risks and benefits associated with dermal fillers during your consultation so you’re fully informed about what to expect.
Your New Look
The results of your procedure should be visible anywhere from immediately to within a few days, depending on which dermal fillers were used. Deep lines and wrinkles should appear much less pronounced, and you should look rejuvenated in a way that’s subtle yet unmistakable. Since the effects of dermal fillers will wear off gradually over time, Dr. Koehler and his staff can work with you to schedule regular treatment sessions at the proper intervals necessary to maintain your new look long-term.
Dermal Filler FAQs
How do I choose the best dermal filler provider?
Choose a dermal filler provider like our team that has ample experience administering injectable treatments like fillers and who has completed the proper training and certification process. Referrals from friends and family members in your area and online reviews are great places to begin your search. Then, narrow down your options by looking at before and after photos online, reviewing practice websites and scheduling a consultation with your top one or two favorites.
Are dermal fillers the best med spa treatment for me?
Dermal fillers can be an excellent choice for you if you are looking to temporarily smooth away lines and wrinkles and/or add more volume to your cheeks or lips. Some people who may be considering a surgical procedure like a facelift or neck lift choose to start with fillers before committing to cosmetic surgery.
Are dermal fillers better than BOTOX®?
Though similar, dermal fillers and BOTOX serve two different purposes, so one is not necessarily better than the other. The right choice for you will depend on your goals and trouble spots. Dermal fillers, for example, are commonly used to address lines and creases around your nose and mouth, while BOTOX is often the best choice for smoothing away forehead wrinkles and lines near your eyes. We will help you decide if fillers, BOTOX or a combination of both could be the best option for you.
Do injectable fillers hurt?
While you may feel some slight discomfort or a “pricking” sensation during your filler injections, we take a number of steps to make you as comfortable as possible during your appointment. First, a topical numbing agent is applied to the area to be treated to minimize discomfort. Secondly, proper injection techniques and extensive knowledge of facial anatomy help to make the experience as painless as possible.
After getting injectable fillers, you might experience some swelling, bruising and tenderness. These side effects can usually be easily treated with over-the-counter medication, however.
When will I see dermal filler results?
You should notice an immediate difference in your appearance following your injectable filler appointment, though it can take up to two weeks to see your final results. It can take around this amount of time for swelling to fully diminish and the product to settle into place. For this reason, it is best to schedule your filler appointment at least two weeks in advance if you have an important upcoming event like a reunion or wedding.
How long do injectable fillers last?
Injectable fillers can last anywhere from 6 months to two years, depending on the type of filler used. Hyaluronic acid fillers are one of the most popular filler types and generally last between 6 and 18 months. Sculptra results can last two years or more, as this type of filler stimulates the skin’s own production of collagen, offering longer-lasting results.
To prolong your filler results, avoid deliberate tanning, wear daily sunscreen and practice healthy lifestyle habits such as eating healthy foods, getting enough sleep and drinking plenty of water.